Excavation Safety Precautions
What is Excavation Safety?
Excavation Safety is a defined set of safety measures for trenching and excavation that are designed to remove hazards and control risks while remaining in compliance with rules. In the construction industry, one of the two most hazardous and dangerous operations is excavation and trenching. There are a lot of risks that come with excavation and trenching and these include falling loads, site cave-ins, accidents from machinery operation, and high-risk environments. This is the primary reason why inspections and safety checks are very important before and after working. We want to prevent big and small accidents from occurring in the workplace.
Here are some tips to help you maintain an accident-free construction site in Melbourne.
- Prior to starting the workday, make sure that the foreman or the one in charge of safety must re-evaluate the site whether the soil is stable, and check all the equipment and safety apparatuses.
- Remind the subcontractors and all construction employees to avoid parking their vehicles and trucks near the excavation site and trench.
- Create a trench and excavation site collapse contingency plan.
- Train all your employees and educate them about excavation safety, precautions, and protocols to take when emergencies happen.
- During the excavation and trenching, the site must be closely observed for hazardous gases, toxins, unsafe edges, and rigging issues.
- Never enter a trenching or excavation site without notifying your coworkers and taking the necessary precautions.
- Verify the day's and the previous day's weather conditions so you can determine whether it is safe to excavate and trench on the site,
Kinds of Excavation Protection in Melbourne
- Testing - Regular testing must be done when working on sites, before and after excavation. Testing the stability of the soil and its surrounding structures can prevent accidents from happening on-site.
- Emergency Equipment - All the emergency equipment needed for any kind of emergency must always be ready. We do not know when and what kind of accident will occur that's why being prepared is the best. Examples of emergency equipment are harnesses, stretchers, first aid kits, etc.
- Regular Inspections - Regular inspections mean that the excavation and trench sites are inspected several times on a daily basis by licensed and experienced people. This reinforces safety measures and reminds all employees that safety comes first at all times.
- Construction Ramps - Structural ramps must be installed and built according to the site requirements and it has to be built and designed by certified people to assure safety.
- Proper Reflective Workwear - All workers that enter the worksite must wear protective gear and clothing at all times. One of these is reflective vests that make workers very visible on the site.
Save Lives. Exercise Proper Safety Measures.
The main purpose of excavation safety is to save lives. Practice and take safety precautions at all times. No matter how important a trenching and excavation project is, a person's life is more valuable than anything else. Trust well-known and highly respectable excavation contractors like Hammer Excavations Melbourne because they do their work well and put safety a top priority at all times.